Sunday, September 11, 2011

Refurbished Farmhouse Table off Craigslist

Hello. My name is Karie, and I've decided to start my own blog to share my DIY projects. My hubby and I have recently moved into a new home, and there are plenty of projects that need to be completed. I have also been inspired to start refinishing and reupholstering antique furniture. I plan to share these projects with you through this blog.

 My hubby and I use to have a large black wooden pub kitchen table. The chairs were very uncomfortable, and it just looked awkward sitting in our kitchen. I'm new to the blog world, and have been finding inspiration in some DIY Farmhouse Table project posts. We decided to purchase a table off Craigslist, and sell the old table. Here are some pictures of my very first DIY project using our new table:

Thanks to my dad lending me his electrical sander and some 60 grit sandpaper....I was able to get started!



Here is the table which we purchased off of Craigslist. Oops! I don't have a before picture. Our table use to have an ugly yellowish pine stain covering it's entire body. I sanded the table top with my father's sander which only took about thirty minutes. I did not sand the legs.  This is the table after I applied a Minwax walnut stain to the table top, and creamy white paint by Behr to the base.


I only applied one coat of the walnut stain. I didn't want it to look perfect. I wanted it to look old and used. Here is a better look at the top.


I love that it doesn't look perfect! 



I still need to distress the base and apply a couple coats of Minwax Polyurethane. The chairs to the table had cushions that needed to be reupholstered. I got some great ideas from Miss Mustard Seed's blog...and here is a sneak peek at how the cushions are coming along....

 I haven't decided if I will stencil some french wording.....what do you think? I will post the final result of the Refurbished Farmhouse Table as soon as it's finished later this week....please come back and check it out!

My family and I would like to send special thoughts out to the families and friends of anyone who suffered the loss of a loved one in 9/11. We will always remember!


4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking beautiful! I feel the same way about staining surfaces...I want them to still look "well-loved" rather than brand-new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good blog looking forward to seeing your future projects? Love you- RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find with the table and love your chair cushion. I would just leave the stripe, it looks perfect as is.
    Cheers~
    T

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment. Thank you!